Friday 30 January 2009

Polybushing and Brakings Upgradings, to a higher stoppings capabilitings.

Upon realising my old rear bushes were stuck in, and theres no real gain from having nice suspension unless it can move properly, I got some superflexes sent up for my wagon. They were a bit of a bitch to fit whilst on the car but weren't to much hassle. The boring bit was torching out the old ones with a paint striiping gun. Was nice n warm in the winter cold though!



High-tech diff lifter there. It's the Broomojack (Pat.Pend.)
Oh yes, I decided a 3.45 diff was more my cruising level, should return a nice mpg on the 10CR/Classic Le mans Trips/Rallys etc. Im glad I did this as my original 4.11 was hanging on by magic and rust. I got hold of a new hanger, painted the bodywork above it with waxoyl, then cleaned and painted the hanger, then waxoyled it to hell after installing.



Some dickcheese decided rather than putting a small patch in the wheel well they'd pour in a pint of filler over the sieve-like metal. That was chopped back to fresh good stuff and repaired up.


I also remembered something the other week, my MkI brakes are shite. I mean made of cheese and wood shite. I was coming down a fairly big hill at about 60 and I managed to stop for the traffic lights before hitting the car infront. But after that, bearly anything, very little brakes.
Deciding I'm rather allergic to dying, I thought it best to upgrade the brakes. Looked at a few options, Jag, MkII 2000, Hi-Spec, Wilwood. Couldn't really justify the massive extra cost of the Wilwoods, Jags very heavy, lots of pissing about, Hi-Spec don't do a kit and wanted me to send them front suspension leg and would be pricey, and MkII 2000 more pricey than Triumph Stag.
I settled on the Stag setup as its a period mod (which I like), it's fairly cheap and a bolt on direct replacement. Also, you can get better pads for the Stag calipers (same pad type as MkII 2000/2500/PI) than the early MkI 2000 setup, and I like my Mintex M1155s. I know theres no greater pad area, but there's more piston area and chunkier discs and if I'm trammin' down some mountain pass with my old man in front with his nice brakes on his Spitfire, I wanna stop!
Apparently according to Mr C (he needs his identity protecting), a caravaner (uuuurgghhh, see), with my mods and new braided hoselines these are shit hot at slowing me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment